Saturday, July 12, 2014

Meet the Candidates: Presiding Commissioner, GOP Primary, 2014

As many of you know, the Platte County GOP primary is August 5 where  Jim Plunkett, Ron Schieber, and Russell Wojtkiewicz seek the GOP nomination for presiding commissioner of Platte County.  Whoever wins this primary effectively will be the next presiding commissioner (as the Democrats are not running anyone).  This is an open primary so anyone (not just Republicans) can vote in it.

Some residents of south Platte County put together some important questions for the three candidates for presiding commissioner and below are their answers.


QUESTIONS:

1. Many people live in Platte County for its unique charm, rural feel and open green spaces.  We do not want to see Platte County become an over-congested, high-density clone of Johnson County, KS.  If you are presiding commissioner, what would you do to help protect Platte County from becoming a Johnson County clone?

2. Many people are worried that developers and real estate interests have too much political power in Platte County.  For instance, the bulk of Jason Brown’s political contributions came from the developer / construction / real estate industry.  Many feel that this industry, in essence, wants to transform Platte County into a Johnson County clone — thereby enriching themselves, harming everyone else. If you are presiding commissioner, what would you do to help protect Platte County from the influence of this industry?

3. Related to question #2, many people feel that Platte County Planning & Zoning is completely out of control — rubber-stamping and fast-tracking projects for their developer buddies, all at the expense and loss of safety of tax-paying citizens. [N.B.  We are referring here to the recommendations by the P&Z staff, not to the unpaid board members of the P&Z commission, although there is the future possibility that developers could try to stack the unpaid P&Z board with their friends.] If you are presiding commissioner, what would you do to clean up Platte County Planning & Zoning?

4.  Many people in this area of South Platte County are happy with their septic systems and do not want to be forced into hooking up to a sewer system.  If you are presiding commissioner, what would you do to guarantee that Platte citizens could keep, upgrade and construct new septic systems?

5.  There were 15 votes against Chapel Ridge (from the first and second P&Z hearings and county commissioner hearing) and one person, presiding commissioner Jason Brown, voting in favor of Chapel Ridge who approved it.  If you were presiding commissioner, how would you have handled this differently?

6.  Many people are worried about the NBH FourPlex & Commercial High-Density Development Plan for K / 45 Intersection, which many feel will “junk up” this area of 45, effectively be the first step in transforming this area of 45 into a North Oak Trafficway.  If you were presiding commissioner, what would you do to protect citizens from such short-sighted development plans?



JIM PLUNKETT’S ANSWERS:


1: We moved to Platte County from Johnson County because we loved the quiet, rural setting but still wanted to be close to conveniences. I certainly understand your concerns because we moved to Platte County for many of the same reasons and want to see this area maintain its unique features.

If I am elected Presiding Commissioner, I would adhere to Platte County’s Land Use Plan. The Land Use Plan was created with citizen participation and other community organization involvement in 2002 and updated in 2010. Platte County has invested a significant amount of money in this plan.

The Land Use Plan and Zoning Order should be followed with the intent that it was created for. Applicants wanting to use just one part of the book or comments from a single sentence should be discouraged.

As Presiding Commissioner, I will continue to follow the Land Use Plan in order to develop Platte County in a manner that will protect its unique qualities.

2: When I was commissioner, my top goals were to be as transparent and accessible as possible. I kept an open door policy and I still give out my cell phone on all my campaign pieces. I take calls from residents 7 days a week, any time of day. When there was a controversial issue, I would always make sure to meet with concerned citizens so I could hear all perspectives.

When I decided to run for Presiding Commissioner, I invited all the residents concerned with the Chapel Ridge development to my office. We met for several hours and I was able to listen as they voiced their concerns with both the proposed development and the process by which it was approved.

I have earned a reputation for being reasonable and approachable, and I promise that I will continue to be so as Presiding Commissioner.

Next, I would protect the integrity of the office by voting based on what is best for the county, not what’s best for contributors. When I first ran for office in 2004, I made a pledge to voters that I would not take contributions from people or businesses that were doing business with Platte County, and I kept that promise the eight years I was in office and have honored that pledge during my campaign for Presiding Commissioner.

I believe that you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep. Jason Brown was my opponent Ron Schieber’s largest contributor in 2012. I am concerned that if Schieber is elected as Presiding Commissioner, it will just be another Jason Brown running Platte County.

3. The Platte County Commission needs a Presiding Commissioner who is willing to make tough decisions in order to fix problems. When I was elected as Second District Commissioner, the Platte County Regional Sewer District was in need of some serious clean up. I was appointed to the Board and went about making changes to the management structure in order to make the Board more efficient, effective and transparent.

If elected, I will take the same approach to the Platte County Planning & Zoning Staff. I will inspect the process and take appropriate action to ensure that it’s functioning to the highest level possible.

4. South Platte County sewers are currently complicated. There are three entities involved: the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Platte County Health Department and the Platte County Regional Sewer District, and all three have their own rules.

I spoke to Missouri DNR and they promote the use of septic tanks through 10CSR20-6.030 with the oversight handled through the Platte County Health Department.

PCRSD bylaws state that if your property is located within 300’ of their sewer line and the structure is located within 400’ of their sewer line they want you to hook up to their sewer system.  I know the board has allow property owners in the past not to hook up if their existing septic is working with the understanding that at some point they could connect in the future if it become necessary.

One way to address these issues is to appoint the right people to the Platte County Regional Sewer District. The County Commission appoints the members so it’s important to have a Presiding Commissioner who is knowledgeable about these issues and makes the right appointments.

Maintenance of your septic system is very important.

5. When I was commissioner, I never once overrode a decision of the Planning and Zoning Board. These are people who give a lot of time and energy to help make informed decisions and have researched the issues thoroughly, often going out to visit the sites proposed developments on their own time.

If I had been presiding commissioner during this process, I would have listened to all citizens. I would have responded to their emails and phone calls and invited them to meet with me about it.

I would have voted to uphold the Planning and Zoning Commission decision on Chapel Ridge

6. The county needs to adhere to the Land Use Plan. It states that infrastructure must be in place for an application to be approved. If the traffic count would exceed what the road can safely handle, the application must be denied.

These safeguards are in place to preserve the integrity to Platte County’s development and should be followed.


[Correction: Jim Plunkett's campaign sent an email saying the above should say Jason Brown was Ron Schrieber's largest contributor in 2010, not 2012.]



RON SCHIEBER’S ANSWERS:


Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions and discuss your concerns about the current and future development issues in Platte County.

Platte County has a land use and zoning plan.  That plan should be the starting point for all development.  I am a supporter of responsible development, that is properly vetted, and makes sense to our community.

Following the current land use and zoning plan is sufficient to protect us from becoming a Johnson County clone.  Insuring that new development fits within the scope of the plan is my commitment.  If, and when, variances from the plan may be necessary, I commit to working with concerned neighbors, developers and land owners to come to a reasonable compromise.
That process includes the Platte County Planning and Zoning Department.  Their recommendations should be considered in variance decisions.  However, I am committed to giving the Planning and Zoning Board decisions more weight in my decision to vote for or against variances.  I would not vote for a development that was rejected by the Board, nor will I ever use the Presiding Commissioner’s “preferential vote” to determine an outcome.  This type of behavior causes citizens to lose faith in the process and government in general.  The actions of the current presiding commissioner may have been legal but I do not think it was right.  One of my goals is to bring trust back to the presiding commission's office.

With all of this said, I do not support the NBH Development currently being proposed and I will work with the citizens in the area to try to stop a repeat  of the Chapel Ridge fiasco.

I support a person's right to maintain a septic system as opposed to forcing them to hook up to a sewer.  The Platte County ordinances do allow for reasonable variances to the standard hook up requirements.  If we find that the variance process is not strong enough to protect this right, I am committed to working with the department, sewer district boards, and the other commissioners to try to change the ordinances to protect this right.




RUSSELL WOJTKIEWICZ’S ANSWERS:



(1) First of all I don’t believe we will become a Johnson County clone.  But realiize that the Platte County Commission ONLY has jurisdiction over UNINCORPORATED Platte County and a lot of Platte County is within the Kansas City city limits and our county municipalities.  Parkville is planning development.  Kansas City is responsible for Barry Road, much of I-29 and many areas that are being developed now.

I believe we can control and regulate development but that stopping all of it is unwise and would be only temporary.  Local landowners, the farms that were here are probably planning on the sale of their properties to fund their retirements or set their families up.  They know the inevitable development is coming and their assets - their privately owned land - is their asset to sell to whom they wish.  Neighbors have no right to control who they sell to nor what that landowner does with their land - within reason.  Now, once sold to a developer, that developer must jump through countless hoops, meet regulations, pay for expense impact studies and risk millions of dollars over years, decades sometimes, before a profit is made on their investment.

As elected, it is our job to make sure development is appropriate and is done properly.  None of us want to see a development go in and have it turn into blight.  We have those areas and they are mostly within KCMO, not unincorporated Platte County.  I believe most of our developments have been beneficial.  We all want our tax base to grow, increase tax revenues that provide the amenities we cherish and yet keep our tax rates low or reasonable.  We want job growth in Platte County.  With all that comes development.  Especially within the 435 loop.  And its going to accelerate as the economy gets better, as the inner city deteriorates and folks seek a better life for themselves and their children and as business recognizes what a great place Platte County is to live and work.

(2) You have probably outlined why I am running for office.  I encourage you to look up the Missouri Ethics Commission reports on me and all the candidates.  You will see I have collected contributions ONLY from individuals, mostly in Platte County.  Yes, a few friends and supporters have given but they have all been from Missouri and are all individuals, not corporations, PACs or Unions or otherwise.

So I am not connected to any industry.  I curry no favors from anyone.  The highest contributor has been $250.  Can’t get much more grassroots than that.

It is in my make up of sensitive to the appearance of influence or wrong doing.  I won’t drive a loaner vehicle provided as a favor from a county contractor.  Will I attend social functions, open houses, opening of new developments if invited?  Perhaps.  Depends on whom, what and why.  But I can always reject campaign contributions and have enough self esteem and nerve to reject the appearance of impropriety.  Probably going a little overboard that what most would consider to avoid wrong appearances.  30 years living in a community and the county I have developed many great friends in various fields.  That interaction does not end simply by being elected.  But I don’t get services rendered or have political power now.  I doubt I will change if elected.  Oh sure, I’m expecting some smear campaigns by the press or folks will try for one reason or another because they dislike me or disagree with me.  Comes with the territory.  But I won’t lie to you.  And I’m not going to lie to you in the campaign just to garner a few votes.

(3) I can see where you and many folks believe this and the Chapel Ridge affair brought it out more.  I have dealt with Dan Erickson and continue to do so.  We have our disagreements.  But he is willing to answer questions.  In my book, you must give all folks a chance to explain a stance on an issue.  I will be very proactive, interactive in front and behind the scenes to the limit of my powers to make sure County Government is friendly, accessible, transparent to the best of its ability and confront when we have problems and solve them.  I will depend and demand citizens get involved, offer suggestions and solutions.  Anything and anyone is subject to corruption.  I can’t tell the future.  I can only plan for it and have principles to follow to guide my decisions.  I have no public record so you will just have trust what I say and stay involved to keep me in line!!!  And hell, tell me if there is a problem.  I will always want to hear from constituents because elected cannot always tell if there is a problem!

(4) I will do my damnedest! (spelling?)  I am so AGAINST being forced to hook up to ANY utility!  But also know that the Missouri DNR and the Federal EPA control so much of what goes on it is out of our control or the choice of the utility!  That I am I against as well!  How dare they tell us how to live and what to do on our own property!!  Yes, I would compromise that annual tests be submitted so that raw sewage is not being released into a nearby creek or on the ground.  And that water wells are safe for drinking.  But I believe every homeowner should be able to be as self sustaining and live as frugally as they wish to live.  Neighbors will have to be tolerant.  I don’t buy all the “for the public good and health” that has taken away our property rights!  While one developer has told me the Union Chapel Elementary sewer project was good overall and that some of the properties had no septic tank and that you could scoop up raw sewage, I still think it was a lost opportunity for the School District to install a state of the art, self sustaining waste water treatment that could have been used to flush the toilets or water the surrounding properties.

But hey, I am a conservative radical that would rather save his money than spend it with large, monopolized corporations. :)

(5) Yep, that’s what does not pass the smell test on that decision.  My aim is to be involved and attend those meetings, as an observer, as contentious issues pass through the system.  My campaign promises on thing - to be full time on the job.  I want to talk with the developers, with the area home and landowners as issues come up.  We need to work together to find solutions.  Not just be at war with each other.  You will someone involved, who does not have their mind made up prematurely and will render decisions based on facts, research, listening and unafraid to make tough, unpopular decisions.

(6) [T]hat is a loaded question from the start and presumes much about that particular plan that I have not seen.  Weeks ago I was in the P&Z office looking for County Maps when Dan showed me the next “controversy” in development.  It was Barth’s K and 45 resubmitted plan.  Now, I don’t remember all the details but there was no large box store but some retail and professional offices.  There are some triplexes at $200K per unit similar to what is going on over the hill from me on Northwood Road near the high school and no one has said anything about those in that neighborhood.  And we have lots of open land around down here.  THere are 90 self standing single family homes for K and 45.  There may be 4 plexes but I don’t remember.  There is no Senior housing or subsidized housing.  Million dollar entrances to K and 45 and 11 acres of green space.  Does it need a closer look?  Sure.  But this is same land that was proposed 10 years ago, rejected but also simply taken back to wait till 45 was expanded, which we all knew was coming and the rest starts in 2015 to 435.  I will say I do not believe that Barth’s proposal is CHapel Ridge.  Area developers are very pissed off over Chapel Ridge because it is hurting them.  Now, it will sound like or be taken I am in the developers pocket.  That’s not the truth nor is it fair.  But who owns the land?  Why was the land sold in the first place?  Do folks now see Thousand Oaks and Stonegate as beneficial?  I think many do.  I will give all parties a fair shake but that does not mean I am against development.  Most of us all live in a development.  I would love to find some rural land and build my cottage.  I’m not a fan of HOAs as you might tell.  Fine if folks want to live that way.  I don’t.

These are not easy issues to resolve but both sides must understand all the facts.  Let’s deal in facts.  Not old rumors or emotion.

Thanks for your time and I pray you find reasons that I will be the honest candidate you seek.  If not, then I tried and you gave me a fair shot.  That’s all I ask.  Thanks.

Well, out to walk more doors.  I’ve confronted solid, anti Republican anything voters and through standing up to them and answering them forthrightly and honest, they at least say “maybe”.  That’s a win.  I’m a conservative affiliated with the Republican party.  But many on both sides have good ideas.  We must at least entertain them.  And I’ll bet we find some great solutions!  Together.





Other News:

Check out the donations given to the three candidates above at the MEC website.

Sign the NO NBH petition here.

"Say NO to the NBH FourPlex & Commercial High-Density Development Plan for K / 45 Intersection" and "NBH Commercial FourPlexes to Triple Traffic"

"Jason Brown Helps Buddies Out, at Expense of Platte County"

Visit new website:  South Platte for Responsible Development

Defeat the NBH Proposal.  Attend the August 12 Planning and Zoning Meeting, 6:00 PM, Platte County Administration Building, 415 Third St., Platte City, MO 64079


16 comments:

  1. It’ll be so good to get Jason Brown and his developer friends out of the presiding commissioner chair. They have been parasites on taxpayers for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm voting for Plunkett. I talked to him a while back and he told me he would have voted against Chapel Ridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need a commissioner that puts the safety and welfare of citizens first --- not the get-rich-quick schemes of their developer friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where was Ron when the fight against CR was raking place? No where! Now he's against it ? Too little too late. Sounds like an opportunist to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least Ron Schieber is now against CR and NBH, if he is being honest. Although I'll probably vote for Plunkett in this election since I told him I would, I'd now vote for Ron Schieber in some other election since he is now right on the issues. I congratulate Ron for coming over to to the Good Side.

    I heard that Russell Wojtkiewicz didn't answer the questions because he's in favor of both Chapel Ridge and NBH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

    In response to "I believe that you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep. Jason Brown was my opponent Ron Schieber’s largest contributor in 2012. I am concerned that if Schieber is elected as Presiding Commissioner, it will just be another Jason Brown running Platte County."

    I would say you can tell a lot about a politician that can't or won't get their facts straight. Fact 1, Jason Brown was not Ron Schieber's biggest contributor in 2011 or 2012. Fact 2, Jason Brown didn't contribute at all in 2011 or 2012. Fact 3, State Senator Rob Schaaf and Speaker-Elect John Deihl were Ron's largest contributors at $1500 each. Fact 4, this can all be found on the Missouri Ethics Commission website if you like to take the time to look.

    Jason Brown was Ron's largest contributor in 2009-2010 when Ron was running against Jason's arch nemesis democrat Jason Grill who Ron fortunately defeated. Some of the many other contributors that cycle were Eric Zahnd, Susan Phillips, Charlie Dickman, Mary Hoy, Rob Willard, Trish Herzog, Dick Anderson, Judy Stokes, Mike Wurst, Abby Olson and Tom Pryor.

    Just as a reminder, this can all be found on the Missouri Ethics Commission website.

    And it's easy to not have to take contributions when you've made almost $1,000,000 off of the taxpayers through the Parks tax: over $400,000 before he was elected and $513,776 after he voted to renew the full 1/2 cent park sales tax without addressing the needs of law enforcement.

    Ron Schieber is a man of integrity. He is not a Jason Brown puppet or clone and for any candidate to suggest that says more about him than his opponent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoever inherits the presiding chair is going to have a lot of cleaning up to do. Under Jason Brown, it has basically been open looting of the county by developers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry...before Jason Brown is out of office he'll ram a couple more JD Dunn contracts through... you can count on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And Jason Brown will also try to help out his good friend David Barth --- you count on that

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jason Brown threw the balance of his campaign money to Ron. Are you going to tell me Ron doesn't owe Jason now or those who made that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always liked Schieber but now that I know he's against Chapel Ridge and NBH I can go ahead and vote for him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it pretty telling that Shieber never bothered to find out what was going on with Chapel Ridge either while he was an officeholder or early on during his campaign. He has now decided to align himself with the Chapel Ridge group? Played like a true Jefferson City opportunist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. “Anonymous,” I find your allegations to be absolutely absurd. First, I bid on the original community center work long before I ever ran for office. It was an open bidding process and I was awarded the work because I was the qualified low bidder.

    Second, I bid the community center renovations after I was out of office. I was asked to bid the project because my company did the original work. Again I was the low bid, saving taxpayers over $100,000 over two other companies that bid the work, both union. I never bid on county projects while I was in office.

    Third, I did not vote to renew the parks tax. I voted to place the issue on the ballot so that Platte County voters could have a say on the issue. I believe that voters should have the ability to have the ultimate say on such taxation matters.

    Fourth, I have always made sure that law enforcement is a top priority. When I first took office, the budget for the Prosecutor’s office was $874,062. The Sheriff’s office had a budget of $6,410,834 and $322,125.00 for the 911 Call Center. When I left office, the budget for the Prosecutor’s office was $1,253,386. The budget for the Sheriff’s office was $7,255,146 and $1,097,876.00 for the 911 Call Center. Even during some of the toughest times of the recession, I made sure that law enforcement funding was taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Schieber has what it takes to be commissioner. Ron stopped by my house and had a conversation WITH me.. didn't give me a sales pitch. He takes a stance on the issues, he did not try to appease me, he was just honest. Transparency is needed in our government and I know he will provide that. If Ron comes knocking on your door, give him five minutes of your night, it didn't take me long to learn he's the right guy for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, I'd like to thank Jim Plunkett & Ron Schrieber for coming out against Chapel Ridge and NBH. It's good to know that we have brave politicians willing to stand up to corruption.

    Second, I'm very disappointed with Russell Wojtkiewicz's answers. It seems that he's trying to be a Jason Brown clone, helping developers loot the county at the expense of everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some of Russ Wojo's answers seem like they could have been written by Jason Brown. Is Jason Brown working on his campaign?

    ReplyDelete